Goods to France

johnjohn

Hi

I buy lots of stuff on Ebay. Some is for a house I have in France. Now small items are no problem, most Ebayers are happy to Royal Mail within EU at extra cost. So far fine. But large items cause a problem. We are all meant to be one big happy European family now but for simple carriage France might as well be on the other side of the world! Items up to about 50 kilos can be sent via people like DHL at crazy high cost, but like if you want to ship an armchair, hardly an unusual item, then it just becomes impossible.
( just in case anyone says 'why don't you buy an armchair on Ebay France' - just you try - there ain't none!)

So my question is, does anyone out there know of a good competitive & reliable carrier who can move individual items of furniture ( carpets chairs, hifi etc etc ) from UK to France? I would be greatly obliged for any help.
JohnJohn

Johnjohn

I don't know of any carriers personally, but maybe it would be worth you posting a note on here to see if anyone is coming to France from the UK.  My husband regularly returns to the UK with his van, I'm sure other people do the same.  If it helps with the ferry costs then everybody wins.

Dotty

When moving furniture to France last year, I used a website -

www.loadup.co.uk- and was inundated by dozens of van and lorry drivers offering to take the stuff as a part load - or a returning empty load, on my behalf. The prices quoted varied hugely, but in the end chose a very good firm from Canterbury, who collected from me as agreed at 9am in Wiltshire, and delivered to 24  (he got there 3 hours early by going on different ferry crossing) and he waited outside the house for me to arrive - in full sun. Brilliant - can let you have name if you would like it.

have a look at this link from an article in today's Sunday Times

A friend who recently moved from London to France saved himself more than £1,000 by using a removal broker. These people take all the details of your move and then find the best quote. ET Brokers, the firm my friend used, charged a £35.25 fee (0870 800 3880, www.etbrokers-removals.com).

Dominique