Brittany Ferries price rise

yann

Is trouble brewing at Brittany Ferries? I recently went to book online and discovered that between 7 am and 9am the cost of the crossing I was after had gone up by 20%. When I phoned I was told that even the staff didn't know that prices were going up until they started taking bookings on the morning it happened. Are they in difficulties, and if so what are the prospects for the Western Approaches routes?

No, the company is not in difficulties.

What you noticed happens frequently, a particular crossing can move from one price band to another if there is a higher than expected demand. It can happen in reverse, when you get a cheaper quote when checking later, if there has not been the expected take-up. Most airlines use a similar system - it's what happens when brochures do not publish prices.

I live fairly locally to BAI head office and there has been nothing about them or their finances in the local newspaper at all or from the local agglo. Speculation as always I would imagine especially as they are having a multi-million euro new ship built very shortly. They also employ a great deal of people here locally and any redundancies will be known about straight away by strikes etc.

I just checked by re-entering the details of a trip booked many moons ago.  I couldn't get exactly the same cabin (which suggests they are busy enough), but the cost came out more or less the same.  What worries me is a potential "general strike" next Tuesday.  No fun with a dog on board.