Anyone booked direct with Transmanche recently?

Brilec

I booked a return Newhaven - Dieppe, and the cost shown was £44.00. However, when it got back to my credit card account, it was £45.50. Seems they change the sterling into euros then back to sterling.

Why do they advertise prices in sterling if they then do this?

This is booking on their website by the way. Anyone else had this?

Brian

Yes I am sure I was on the Transmanche site. I did check the Aferries booking but they would only give a provisional booking, and said they would automatically put you on an alternative ferry, which I did not want.

No, it was not a booking charge, the card statement said €65 @ 1.44 = £45.50 (not giving eXACT figures cos I have not got them in front of me), but the card receipt I printed from their website clearly states the cost to be £44.00

I suspect that though it doesn't say so on the website the English charges are only indicative and it always bills at a fixed French price and then converts at the current rate.

I took the example of a single for two at £40 plus one breakfast at £4 but this converts to 66 Euros. IE They used a rate of £1.5 to show the English prices, but you get charged the floating rate which is a bit lower at the moment.

I don't think their website could ever claim to be the height of sophistication. Minor quibble apart its still good value for a real ferry comparing quite favourably with the vomit comet. Its such a shame that their sailing times never suit us. I wish they could reintroduce the old early afternoon sailing from Newhaven.

I would tend to agree with you on that, though I do have a printed receipt from them for the original amount. This would certainly fall foul of British consumer legislation.

It is interesting to know that if I had booked in euros, I would have paid a slightly higher price.

Not going to complain really, as it is still a cheap way to get across that bit of channel and the times are actually convenient.

They are also quite generous on their three day return, travel out 0800 Friday, return 1800 Monday, which is over what most of the short hops class as three days. They normally require you to begin the return journey no more than 72 hours after arriving.

For goodness sake, don't tell them!