National Express

Grumpy

Is there an equivalent of National Express coaches in France? Failing that does anyone know of any scheduled coach operators that traverse the country. I'm wanting to travel from St Malo/Cherbourg/Caen to Lyon/Chambery/Tignes.

Many thanks, Steve

The French seem to be keener on rail travel than on long-distance coaches. 
It's worth checking the train fares, as they can be a lot cheaper than in the UK.  The other day I had a one-hour train ride to Nantes for 8.50 euros single.  Compares pretty favourably with bus fares here in London, which can be £2 for the shortest of hops.

I just tried the sncf site  http://www.tgv.com/UK/index_HD.html
and see the 2nd class fare from Rennes to Lyon (I was just looking at the TGV element) is 73E one way (only 25E with "Prems" - but I am not sure that sort of conditions are attached to that deal).  It's only a 4 hour journey by train.

Angela

There is an organisation called Eurolines which runs international coach services across Europe. You could have a look at its website to see whether it would meet your needs.

My daughter - when a student - travelled from Cahors to London and did not enjoy the experience. The thought of travelling anywhere by coach fills me with dread. Take the train.