Public liability insurance

audiop

We have been told that public liability insurance is included in house insurance policies in France. Can anyone confirm that this is the case ?

Does this cover include accidents etc incurred by  paying clients who are using our property ?

All replies appreciated on this one !

Tip: This probably doesn't apply to you o/p but it's one to watch out for, for others.  If you have horses, then public liability for damage caused by them is also normally included in household policies but you must specify that you have them in most cases.  So if you have a bit of land and keep horses on it (yours or other people's) don't forget to make sure you're covered for this also.

[quote user="audiop"]We have been told that public liability insurance is included in house insurance policies in France...[/quote]

I wouldn't place too much faith in any general statement like this.  It probably depends on the individual policy.

I have a household policy which includes third-party liability cover, but that doesn't necessarily mean that all house insurance is similar.  And in any case there is a list of twelve exclusions, one of which is "the exercise of a professional activity". 

I don't think there's any substitute for reading the conditions of the policy, even if you have to get them translated.