Home for Xmas

valB

Just wondering if there are any folk out there trying to get a flight to Bristol and back in December for Christmas. I have been looking but not having  much joy, due to the fact that I am limited to Limoges, Bordeaux or Bergerac airpots. Maybe the flights are now fully booked and it does look as though it will be a ferry crossing which I did not want as six hours to ferryports but if that is the only way, so be it. Stanstead is always available but my family are all in Plymouth.

Hello Pads

Yes, Toulouse is definatley too far for us. I don't think we have ever had flights to Exeter and it is difficult enough getting flights to Bristol.   La Rochelle stop completely in the winter months as well. It would be so handy if some of the airline companies continued their summer schedule but I suppose it is " bums on seats ". I am sure flights to Bristol would be fairly lucrative as it covers Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, Dorset and Gloucester.

I have checked all airlines and in the end I mailed Brisol airport. The only flights to Bristol in December are from Grenoble, CDG Paris, Brezier and Toulous. I checked Roscoff to Plymouth with Britainny Ferries but no return sailings listed after 22 Decmeber so I phoned them. There are no sailings back until FEBRUARY so I will have to go Cherbourg to Poole which is the closest crossing or fly from Toulous which is over a four hour drive . Never mind, I will get back to family for Xmas one way or another.

Hi Valb... this year is particularly difficult for the SW of England.  We're from just outside Exeter and had been using Flybe Exeter - Bergerac for the last few years but they have stopped this route from 23 October... as yet we dont know if it is going to start again in Spring 2010.  We've also used Bergerac to Bristol with Ryanair but again they stopped this route at the end of September 2009 and we think it has just stopped completely... which is odd as it was always so busy?

We're going Bordeaux to Bristol this weekend with Easyjet but they stop in November... so like you we were a bit stuck for Christmas.  We had a choice of Limoge or Toulouse and opted for Toulouse... neither are great for us but it's easier for our visitors to go to Bristol than it is Southampton... we're just hoping that the SW Bergerac flights start again in the spring, but not holding our breath!  It looks like we'll be making a few trips to Bordeaux next year... I'm just glad we stopped commuting last year! 

I guess your options depend on how much you mind driving?  We drove back to the UK last year but I hated the long hike and our ferry crossing was really really rough which made matters worse... so for me I would rather fly... but OH would be just as happy to drive as he prefers to have the car with him and we can stock up on 'stuff' and bring it back... I think we may drive back in February... good luck whatever you decide and I'm sure the journey will be worth the hassle in the end [:$]

[quote user="Rose"]... I think we may drive back in February...  [:$][/quote]

It may be a long way round but there is a direct TGV service from Brive/Limoges to Lille and then a connection on to London for onward via Paddington or Waterloo for the SW. Return fares bookable now are about £95 Limoges/London next January.

http://leportailferroviaire.free.fr/tgv/tgvbl.htm

I agree, Rose, OH does not  mind the drive but I hate it. Especially on the return journey as it does seem endless and we normally get home around 1 o clock in the morning. Yes, Toulouse looks as though it will be the way to go as I hate to ask family to drive too far to collect us.  Equally so, OH hates being without a car so we normally hire one. That all adds to the expense of our trip  to see family. As I stated earlier, the flights from Bergerac, Bordeaux were always full but then I suppose unless they are full the entitre winter months it is not viable for the airlines. The last time we travelled back to France via Britainny Ferries in January we had the boat almost to ourselves so it makes sense. for them to have no crossings until February. Not good for us though. !!!

Hi ValB, we too, are home to Bristol for Xmas this year, we, though are going on the ferry from Le Havre to Portsmouth, £80 return, for car + 2 pax. Like you, we too were disappointed when flights too and from Bristol were reduced/stopped, but it was always a possibility that the cheapy airlines would do this. We are only 4hrs from Le Havre, but the ferry we chose was an overnighter, arriving in Portsmouth at 07:00ish, then miss the traffic on the M27??? up the A36 and stop at the truckstop (http://www.hillsidecafe.co.uk)just before Warminster for an almighty English breakfast; arriving in Bristol for about 10am. If you get an overnight ferry back, you again arrive in Le Havre for about 7am, then with your 6hr drive, will be back a little after lunch. Hope it helps.

Thank you for that info and we will definately check it out. We have to go to Plymouth which is almost two hours further than Bristol but if is a lot cheaper then worth considering. I am sure all the  people who want to get to the West Country will do it one way or another.

Hi Clarkesin france. You may need to check your Xmas ferry crossing from Le Havre. From the early part of November the Norman Spirit is redirected onto the Dover Bolougne route and ther will once again be only 1 crossing a day from Le Havre- leaving at 5pm and arriving in Portsmouth at 9.45pm. The night crossing will still operate for the return journey to France. Joy