Cap Finistere

I observe that Brittany Ferries have now published details of the Cap Finistere ex Superfast V. The information is a bit hazy as to what seating will be available. It looks a bit as though there will not be too much in the way of reclining seats. Anybody out there know any more ?

I am hoping that some Mariner on the site could give some info on the comparable running costs Barfleur to Cap.F. having been on most of the "Cruise Ships" as B.F. now call them ,I still think the Barfleur was the safest and quickest to load./unload and sailed in virtually all weathers giving a very reliable service. Amazing how they have apparently run the Barfleur at a loss for over 7 years ,yet still managed to invest hundreds of millions on new ships.

The problem with BARFLEUR (and the Poole run) was that it was very undersubscribed in the winter. Sometimes there was only a handful of passengers tippy-toeing around so as not to disturb the crew. She hadn't got enough cabin accommodation to put on the Spain run.

If the route was not up to profit margin I would have thought they could have reduced the number of sailings thus reducing fuel and port costs. How much incentive or advertising was put into advertising for trade from this side. I wrote to Mr.Longdon the M.D. about offering us cheap 24hr crossings from France during quieter off season periods,his reply was that they tried it once but many passengers didn't make the return trip? As you had to book by card payment and were informed at the time that a non-return would be debited at full price I thought the reply was poor. Why they still try to offer a "Cruise" experience with slot machine gambling and expensive shopping on these short routes I've never understood. One thought it that when the ships are designed and fitted out ,they are thinking of the re-sale value but it does seem an expensive long term profit making exercise.

Anyway,as I can't afford to buy my Sunseeker to cross the wet bit I will remain most grateful for the remaining service.

On that note I noticed a huge stock of Sunseekers at Poole and am informed that some staff have been laid off, a double shock for Poole and the Harbour income.

Surprised you got a reply from Longdon.    One of the most arrogant and unhelpful (and well protected) chief executives I've ever had the misfortune to try and contact.

One of the (many) reasons I won't go with BF now.   That and the fortune we save by going Dover Calais in spite of the extra miles....

Cap Finistere now tested. As expected, she's low on sitting space as she's obviously designed for overnight crossings with plenty of cabins. A nice bar area with lots of seats aft, totally ruined by insidious vibration that will knock your teeth out, and the inevitable muzak ...

• 2 weeks later...