Travel Insurance that covers DIY in France??

Sue, do you mean insurance whilst travelling to France to do DIY work (or travelling within France for the same purpose, for that matter)?

I'm not sure that travel insurance is designed for this; it's usually for risks associated with holiday journeys, loss of luggage, illness whilst away from home and all that sort of thing.

If you want cover for doing work on the house you should consult your house insurer perhaps?

We have annual travel insurance through Globelink. The wording includes this: "

Manual Occupations Involving Hand Tools And At Ground Level Only, Marathon Running, Netball, Non Manual Occupations, Manual Occupations,"

Otherwise I think we'd have to rely on our normal health service cover for hospitalisation. The trouble is that insurance companies often (always?) look for a get-out. Would your EHIC not cover your situation? I don't know.

Well, it would be wise also to take out an EHIC (free European Health Insurance Card) to make sure you have cover even if your insurance company felt disinclined to pay for treatment.

Here's the website

The EHIC doesn't get you repatriated though.

Angela

PS Don't fall for one of the sites that requires you to PAY for the EHIC. It's free from the NHS if you have a UK National Insurance number.

• 2 months later...

[quote user="Loiseau"]Well, it would be wise also to take out an EHIC (free European Health Insurance Card) to make sure you have cover even if your insurance company felt disinclined to pay for treatment. Here's the website (sorry, wretched browser won'd do the more subtle links) http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/Introduction.aspx The EHIC doesn't get you repatriated though. Angela PS Don't fall for one of the sites that requires you to PAY for the EHIC. It's free from the NHS if you have a UK National Insurance number.[/quote]

Loiseau, with your browser can you see some icons on the message row at the right hand end as you type a reply?  If so, can you click on the "link"  if you then paste the website URL in the box (lower one)                                 

Maybe that will work for your links.

No Theiere, not if I am using Safari.

I try and remember to use Firefox when visiting the forum, but it's not the default browser so sometimes I forget!

Angela

EDIT:  Just for you, I have now snuck back with Firefox and fixed the direct link.  [:)]

Thanks everyone for your posts. I eventually found Direct Travel Insurance who covers for DIY providing it's not higher than 2 storeys (10 mtrs I think they said) so hubby can continue with his DIYing! They were also cheaper than my previous Tesco insurance, so - Result!