Citizens Advice?

hester

I am having problems cancelling an insurance policy under the terms of "Loi Chatel" and I would like to get help from a third party.  This law seems to come under the umbrella of consumer protection and I wonder if anyone could suggest where I might get further advice - a Notaire maybe?

Thanks, Hester/2

Hester

See my reply to your "Chatel" posts in the healthcare section.

If you sent your cancellation letter within the proper timescales, then the insurer is obliged to accept it.  I believe you had words with an office clerk over this, so your first action should be to take it up with the agency manager.  If you do not get satisfaction, then you can always appeal to the insurance moderator/concilliateur.  His details and address are shown in the policy document.  If your insurer is a mutuelle, then his decision is legally binding.  If they are a non-mutuelle (ie, a commercial insurer), then his decision isn't legally binding, but almost always accepted.

Thank you SD.  I will contact look for the details of the moderator in my documents.  I did go back and speak with the manager, she agreed that she would accept the letter then phoned to say that after a "meeting" it was not acceptable.  Regards Hester.