How is the new Ryanair Cash Passport Mastercard ?

joidevie

Hi..

I was wondering if anyone's using the new RYANAIR Mastercard yet?

Specifically:

- How long does it take for money to appear if loaded online?

- Which currency did you select, and how is this being processed if you say buy a 'one way' flight on the French web site version (if you have a GBP card)?

- How did the £6 'voucher' work?

- The six month 'dormancy' fee, does this stop being deducted if you again begin using the card regularly? (I know it's too early, but the T&C's are a little unclear).

Thanks for any experiences..

I tried to obtain one online on several occasions: each time it would get almost to the end of the process and then say "Sorry, we can't process your application". After enquiring with the issuer, I have been sent a manual form for applying for one, which I will be returning in the next few days.

Incidentally, if you are buying flights originating from France then you can still use existing prepaid Mastercards. The dormancy fee can be avoided by making one purchase every six months.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="joidevie"]Sounds like teething problems![/quote]

Well, yes ... Basically, if for any reason they are unable to confirm your identity electronically (eg recent move), or if there is a CIFAS flag on your credit report (eg due to identity theft attempts), then their system throws a wobbly.

[quote user="joidevie"]Interesting that you can buy flights from France with the old card still.. I sense some legal issues..[/quote]

Ryanair does not have a partnership with a Prepaid Mastercard supplier in France and its UK supplier is not authorised to sell outside the UK, from what I can see.

If you look at the fees for the French or German parts of the Ryanair website, it is clear that the requirement to use Ryanair's own "cash passport" prepaid card only exists in the UK at present, so if you are buying flights that originate outside of the UK, you can still use other prepaid Mastercards without incurring fees.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="joidevie"]Is it a problem using a partner's card (in her name) to make a booking in my name? (Myself as the passenger even if she is not booked on that flight?)[/quote]

We've been doing that for years - we have booked and paid for flights for friends when obviously the person paying has not been flying.

Regards

Pickles

My wife applied for a RA Mastercard yesterday.  She is in the UK and was using a Barclaycard for the initial payment. Straight away if flagged up a suspicious transaction and she was contacted by Barclaycard.  Fortunately B'Card didn't adopt their default position which seems to be 'Cancel the Card' and the transaction completed.  I hope the RA card turns up soon as I want to make some bookings.

Thanks.. And yes, we've used a couple of PP Mastercards for all bookings - I was just more wondering whether Ryanair would try to make things a little more tricky..

We're going to bite the bullet and get one, even if it gets used for a few months until the debit card situation gets sorted. Between the two of us, we'll save around £200 a year, so worth the aggro.. And extra space in the cupboard for yet another piece of plastic!

Regarding still being able to use a prepaid Mastercard for Ryanair flights originating outside the UK, does this refer to Mastercards in £s, bought in the UK and attached to a UK address?  Or does it have to be a euro card bought in France?  Ryanair's terms and conditions are somewhat ambiguous about exactly what is valid....

>>Dans le cadre de l'offre spéciale destinée aux titulaires de la carte

Ryanair Cash Passport (résidents anglais) et Mastercard prépayée (excepté MasterCard Prepaid en UK), Ryanair, ne facturera pas de frais de gestion aux clients utilisant ce mode de paiement.>>

Does that mean there is no exemption for flights booked/originating in the UK or no exemption for prepaid cards bought there?

Val

So last night I booked a  flight from Hahn in Germany to Stansted and return using a RA Cash Passport card.  It went through without any problems and saved me the 12 euros that I would have paid using a visa card and even if for some reason I don't get the £6 upfront fee refunded (and there's no reason to suppose I won't) I'm still quids in.  So I'm a happy bunny - long may it last!

Val - if you want to work out if you will be charged for your Mastercard on a UK originating flight, you could just try any old booking from UK and see if the website adds any extra when you select the payment type

EDIT - Just tried it and for both pre-paid mastercard and RA Cash Passport, no fee is added regardless of the origin of the flight