Easyjet to trial allocated seating

baypond

Hmm I'm a Plus card holder. But watch as allocated seating becomes 'pay for this seat, pay for that seat, pay to sit together'. If that happens on a first come first served basis when booking your EasyJet online, then it will be complicated if not impossible to give Plus card holders anything like the advantages they pay for.

Because unlike to be a guarantee that you CAN book a legroom seat – others may get there first.

I am for allocated seating. All I want a Plus card for as a regular flyer is to be forward of the plane to get off fast and get going. Allocated seating will make that less likely, unless you are able to book well well ahead of time.

I have just read the press statement and it says there may be additional charges for seats with extra leg room.

It says speedy boarders will be able to board plane first, an advantage when carrying locker luggage on a busy flight, but I couldn't see anything about priority access to seating position, so they may allocate seats as the flight is booked?

What I don't like about priority boarding is that those people who go on first are normally sitting at the front of the plane. When the rest of us get to the stairs we end up standing in the cold and rain as those first-borders spend an age filling up the over head lockers and blocking the way for the rest. They should make them get on last, the plane should fill up from the back and in that way the plane would be ready quicker. Besides, it's just as warm in the departure lounge as it is on the plane. I would rather sit in a large room for as long as possible before getting on a small metal cylinder, with no windows, cramped together with complete strangers.

There's been quite a lot of work to find the most efficient boarding proceedure

eg  http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/05/70689?currentPage=all

It seems that the conventional 'Back rows first'  isn't best and it should be Window seats first then aisles.

Getting your average RA/Easyjet numpty passenger (Forum members excepted of course [;-)] ) to take that in is another matter, might work for allocated seating though.

I know all you people (as I used to) lead very busy lives, but when one takes into account the ridiculously long check-in times, the herding in the departure lounge and then the arrivals hall and passport control, I find it amusing when this topic crops up at the amount of bitching and scrabbling over a few minutes to, possibly, be saved.

Tin hat on.  [6]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

It seems that the conventional 'Back rows first'  isn't best and it should be Window seats first then aisles.

[/quote]

The reverse Pyramid, back rows, window seats first. Although I think they would need to study the euro flights rather than american to build a better study data base

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Getting your average RA/Easyjet numpty passenger (Forum members excepted of course [;-)] ) to take that in is another matter, might work for allocated seating though.

[/quote]

If it works for the americans than it will probably work for average euro punter

I think the only time being able to get off the plane first is useful, is when you need to get to the car hire bureau. Being first in that queue could save you an hour of your life! I agree with the other comments though, if you fly into the big airports (Gatwick/Heathrow) it makes no difference to how fast you get of as you end up in the passport queue with 25 other flights. Even at Orly, getting of the plane normally means you have to wait for the bus to drive you to the terminal.

People want the front to get off faster and they never have checked in baggage. I do it myself on the earliest flights, it can make a big difference when you're trying to make a train.

If you're a regular traveller, watching the painful process of offloading when you're at the back is not fun.

Allocated seating will simply put those front and exit seats into a first-come paid basis. So unless you book and pay very early for your flights, your chances of securing them goes down.

Much prefer allocated seating when I'm in no hurry or have checked baggage. Much prefer Speedy Boarding if I want to get off quickly.

Point is that I don't believe EasyJet can/will invest in the systems to make both possible. Konw any other seat allocation airline where you are guaranteed first pick of seats, whatever time you book? Don't think there is.

Airfrance automatically allocate you a seat and give you the opportunity to change it. But they have a hierarchy for their flying blue customers, so if you are a regular you get automatically allocated something close to the front. I don't think you could expect to guarantee any seat irrespective of the time you book, how could you? Someone else would get in before you. 

Allocated seats are a good thing if you have kids..you can allocate them seats as far away from you as possible and let someone else listen to them bickering during the flight.

I've given up thinking that 5 minutes makes a difference on catching a train. If you have to get across Paris from Orly or CDG to Montparnesse or L'est then getting off the plane is inconsequential. I've had my time sprinting through Paris l'est whilst the boarding gate is closing thinking I would have made it if only I had sat at the front of the plane. There are too many other factors to consider; Metro trains stopping for too long at stations, ticket machine queues, people who walk too slowly or block elevators, pimps at the doors trying to sell you someone etc etc.