Ryanair's new prepaid "Cash Passport"

Araucaria

Has anyone successfully bought one of these?

It would be nice to avoid Ryanair's additional fees - even at the cost of an initial prepayment of £150 - as luckily that was about the amount the first tickets would cost. But I've now tried twice and both times the process has hung up and failed right at the end of the long series of screens. I wondered if they had some way of blocking transactions identified as located on a computer in France?

[quote user="Araucaria"]Has anyone successfully bought one of these?

It would be nice to avoid Ryanair's additional fees - even at the cost of an initial prepayment of £150 - as luckily that was about the amount the first tickets would cost. But I've now tried twice and both times the process has hung up and failed right at the end of the long series of screens. I wondered if they had some way of blocking transactions identified as located on a computer in France?

[/quote]

I tried to purchase one via computers in both the UK and France, and every time it got to the last stage then said that it couldn't complete. This is not an unusual circumstance, it appears. I suspected that it might have had something to do with the ID checking process. However, I emailed the company and they responded (quite quickly - remember, this is a third party company running the card for Ryanair, not Ryanair itself!) by asking me to send them copies of suitable ID proof. I did so and the card appeared within a couple of days - no £6 charge! (no £6 voucher either, obviously!).

By the way, if you are purchasing flights originating in France, you can still use ordinary prepaid Mastercards.