Flying

idun

I bet even now statisically flying is still very safe, and yet, I found myself today thinking that in the last year that it 'feels' a lot less safe than it was. 

I don't think that I'll stop flying though, but I know that instinctively I shall be pleased when our son's plane has landed when he  visits us soon, and then when he has returned home safely. Such thoughts never having crossed my mind before.

The thing is, the main reason why air accidents are news is because there are relatively so few compared with the number of flights per year. If aircraft were falling out of the sky every day, they would be less newsworthy, in a morbid way. You are still more likely to die on the way to the airport than in the aircraft. The trouble is, when an air accident occurs, a large number of people are affected in one go - like the school group on this flight.

When it's a bus going off the road in Asia or South America, or a ferry sinking in Indonesia or the Phillipines, it seems to have less impact on Western media.

[quote user="idun"]Yes, so logical pickles, but the truth is that I am thinking about this now, whereas, in the past I never gave it a thought. How the mind works eh!

[/quote]

More how the media work, they pick phrases they know to get through, still sells better than Jeremy Clarkson when there wasn't much shocking news around. Sorry if that seems callous but news is just a commodity to these people,

The stats on vehicle accidents are a tad higher than aircraft. Some of the numbers are quite shocking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

For the air? Sorry the formats are so different.

http://www.ibtimes.com/how-many-planes-crash-every-year-how-many-people-die-plane-crashes-chart-1560554

Safer to fly to the airport???

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Safer to fly to the airport???

[/quote]

Only if you can do it on a commercial airline ...

General aviation accident statistics I believe are somewhat worse, and statistics for small helicopters worse still.