Le Vernet Camp

nomoss

Looking for something to read amongst books I've had for years, I re-read an account by Robert Daley of a visit to Le Vernet some years ago.

He gives a rather colourful description of his problems finding the place, and an unflattering account of the local attitude to the site of the camp and cemetery, but I suppose he gives as much information as he could get at the time.

Google didn't exist when I first read the book, so I just spent a little time researching the subject. A lot easier nowadays.

I was glad to see there is now a small memorial and cemetery on the site (it's on the main road just north of Pamiers), and it's easy to see it on Google Earth and in Street View.

I was surprised to see the water tower and the concrete posts at the old entrance are still standing - the latter match those in the photograph here http://www.campduvernet.eu/ , but what really surprised me is that the old camp guards' barracks are still there alongside the road, apparently converted into maisons secondaires.

I guess nothing was wasted in post war France.