Can a red squirrel be black?

In the Vendee last week I saw a squirrel - and realised that it is the first time in 30+ years of visiting that I have seen one!

This looked more like a red one, in style, than the grey - with which I am very familiar in London! 
It was a decent size, and had a bushy tail - but its fur was almost black, with reddish tinge in places.

Angela

[quote user="chris pp"]

Are you sure it was a squirrel, Angela?  They do vary considerably in colour, but that's a bit dark for this time of year, could it have been a pine marten or stone marten?

[/quote]

It looked pretty squirrel-shaped, Chris, and sat still, upright, like a squirrel.  I did see it in a shady area near the house, which might have made it look a bit less brightly-coloured.  (Just found this pic, which is a bit darker than many)

I have to admit that I am not that familiar with the look of martens though.  Will go and take a look at those now...

Angela

EDIT  Just looked at the pix on your site, Chris.  I guess the pine marten is a possible, but does it sometimes sit up like a squirrel?

We regularly visit a friend's house which is located in northern Italy near Bagni di Lucca.

The village is in the heart of a massive sweet chestnut forest, and the squirrels there also look almost black. They sound very similar to the ones you describe!!