beech martens in roof

My husband I and moved in to our French home a month ago, only to discover a family of beech martens (we think) had beaten us to it.

They live in the roof space to which we have no access as the ceilings are pitched into the eaves, like an inverted V.

They make an enormous amount of noise and - worse - smells and are obviously making a right old mess of our insulation.

We'd rather not harm them, if possible, just discourage them from staying. Obviously, we can block their access in. Our current problem is that we don't wan't to stop them getting out first and we don't know how many we've got.

So what do we do? Has anyone encountered this problem and won? Is there a French equivalent of the English town council to come and sort it out or are we on our own?

All help pathetically gratefully received.

So far as I know, the edible doormouse is un loir?

These are more like weasels. Like you, I'm a nature lover but especially the smells all through the bedrooms and bathroom - of decomposing corpses (dinner) and noxious poo and wee which stain your ceilings as well - and the noise all night long and the potential damage to our wiring and insulation, it's too much I'm afraid even for an animal lover like me.

Once we've solved the problem this time, we'll block all possible ingress to make sure they can never get in again. Then, hopefully, we can enjoy seeing them outdoors where they belong.

Yes Clair, I just discovered that yesterday when I was trying to buy mothballs! For future reference, you can no longer buy mothballs with napthelene - now illegal in France. So mothballs are out and no other 'repulsif' exists as they are a 'regulated' species. Apparently I have to call the President of my local Chasse which doesn't sound very promising for the poor things' future. I hope in this case, regulated means protected. Can find no other avenue to explore though so will go in to the Mairie tomorrow to get the number...Fingers crossed it's a humane solution.

[quote user="debseal"]Yes Clair, I just discovered that yesterday when I was trying to buy mothballs! For future reference, you can no longer buy mothballs with napthelene - now illegal in France. So mothballs are out and no other 'repulsif' exists as they are a 'regulated' species. Apparently I have to call the President of my local Chasse which doesn't sound very promising for the poor things' future. I hope in this case, regulated means protected. Can find no other avenue to explore though so will go in to the Mairie tomorrow to get the number...Fingers crossed it's a humane solution.[/quote]

They are still available but, like glue in England, are only sold over the counter.

I have bought several bags of boules anti-mites in a droguerie (ironmongers). The smell took me right back to my grandmother's house, if you see what I mean!

[:D][:D][:D]

Just had a thought, I wonder if one of those ultra-sonic devices would work. You can get one from some bricolages and they are designed for various creatures. Does not harm them but just irritates them away (bit like my tinnitus....[:D])

About 2 years ago our house, together with that of our neighbour, was reroofed by our local French artisan.  Shortly after our arrival for the summer holidays, monsieur brought the bill round.  He informed us that in the course of reroofing he had discovered martens in our grenier.  I was not unduly surprised as I had heard some rather nasty scampering overhead on our last visit!  Monsieur said, while illustrating with his hand, that he had sprayed them and they should cause no further trouble!  If they returned, just ring him and he would come and spray the grenier again.   Our neighbours were then on holiday, but on their return they discussed those martens with us - they are deemed most undesirable, as they can give you fleas.  Our property is in an area where the flora and fauna are listed, observed, etc. but clearly beasts in the 'wrong place' have to go.

Julia

""Our property is in an area where the flora and fauna are listed, observed, etc.""

I'm a bit confused by that, Julia, where are you and can you explain?

I'm also slightly alarmed by the "while illustrating with his hand, that he had sprayed them and they should cause no further trouble!"" 

Sprayed with what I wonder?

Chris

Chris it is perfectly clear that the b u g g e r exterminated them with poison. What else would you expect? He sees them as a pest like every other living thing in the French countryside that is not edible. 

They are great little creatures and whilst being noisy dont seem to do too much damage really. Saw a dead one not long ago: lovely dark markings down the side of the face and a great furry tail. Surprisingly heavy too. No wonder the Romans enjoyed them.