Birdcall in the dead of night....

In the last couple of weeks we have noticed a most bizarre birdcall in the middle of the night. My husband has christened it 'the bedspring bird' as part of the call is indeed a sort of twanging sound a bit like how a bedspring would be portrayed in a cartoon! The first part of the call is rather like the call made by what we used to call 'peewits' when I was a girl growing up in the countryside in England, not sure if that is the correct name for that bird. So we get two or three 'peewit' cries followed by two or three 'bedspring twangs'. This bird seems to be about just as it is first coming light. Admittedly we had had a couple of brandies before we went to bed last night, but we have both heard this calling several times now so don't think we are hallucinating!

Any ideas Chris pp or anybody else please?

Thanks Russethouse, but I don't think that's it. I am going to sleep tonight with the digital recorder alongside the bed, so if it is about tonight I can leap out of bed and record it. I have been around our hamlet describing the sound to our French neighbours, but the only outcome is that they now appear confirmed in their view that les Anglais are everso slightly cracked!

• 2 weeks later...