Odd mouse

I was clearing out a garden shed that I had inherited with the property in the Vendee when I disturbed a mouse in an old seed tray.  I am pretty conversant with wildlife in the UK but had never seen a mouse like this.  I was fortunate in that i was able to watch it for some time as it [almost] leisurely climbed around the inside frame of the shed.  I would say it was slightly larger than the house mouse, field mouse or yellow necked mouse, greyish on top with a contrasting creamy /white underside.  The most striking aspect though were the triangular blak markings extending from points at the nostrils, carrying on past the eyes to about the width of the ears.  Can anyone enlighten me or was it an aberation?

Hi Christine

Thanks for the prompt response.  Yes it could have been a loir - something new to me but it does not quite fit my recolection.  I watched it for four or five minutes and had extremely good views.  The facial markings seemed different and I certainly do not remember the bushy tail.  However, knowing what my memory is like, the loir seems a good bet.  Are they common/  Are they social animals?  Can you tell me more? Thanks!

They are great little creatures. They forage by day apparently and play in your roof space at night. You will see them climbing the walls at sunset. If you shine a torch on them they will swear at you in pure Loir. Their antics kept my kids awake at night but when remedies were suggested they were adamant that the little creatures should be left alone. Also known as the edible doormouse, the Romans and southern French considered them a delicacy. In some parts of Italy they are still eaten though it is illegal (?). If you saw the series Rome, there is an episode where one of the characters is eating them on a plate in a 'pub'.

Consider yourself lucky to have them IMH(not humble)O

I thought the little devil in our grenier was a Loir, but from looking at these pictures its seems we had Lerot instead.   Our friend called him a Skunk Mouse - for obvious reasons!

We bought a humane trap, baited it with stinky cheese and peanuts and caught the chap within half an hour.  He was then  rehomed a few miles away in a lovely barn full of straw in the fields so hopefully he will be happy with that and not return to my grenier to shred the insulation again.    He was a sweet little thing though.