Birds

Since moving here to Normandy, I am amazed at the variation of birds on my garden and surrounding fields.  Alongside the garden birds I know from my suburban patch in UK, I now see such varieties that I have even heard of let alone seen before - a quick search through my bird book today tells me that the bird I thought was a reject robin is in fact a female Black Redstart!   It is wonderful to see all these little birds thriving here, although I think my dogs patrolling  the area have made it a lot safer for them now the cats have departed [:)]

Had a pair of redstarts nest in my barn as we were trying to renovate it.

Cue rows between me and the wife as I refused to disturb the birds, so all work stopped.

Once the breeding season was over, we blocked off entries and pulled out the nest.............and a large mummified rat from behind it: one of two I now own.[:'(]

I blame the barn-owl[;-)]

What a revolting gift from the owl.  OH found similar things when renovating our grenier in between the ceiling / floor spaces where it was as if they had crawled in and died. 

We seem to have a huge variety of finches here but not many blackbirds, thrushes etc which I had expected to see.  Quite pleased to have a pair of buzzards locally though - they are rather magnificent even if I worry about my goslings whilst they are still relatively small.

[quote user="chris pp"]

I don't think you should be pointing a finger at the Barn Owl, a Barn Owl would have eaten it, not left it lying around. The rats either just die or have been poisoned.

Chris

[/quote]

Well, I DID wonder, but BOTH rats I've found have been stuffed into small openings in the owl's domain, and BOTH were bent double. I just assumed a raptor had stored it, then forgotten it........an owl IS a type of raptor, isn't it?