camping querry

Hi there not sure which section i should be asking this question in but lets hope someone out there can help. We are coming camping later in the year and will be able to have an electric hook up for the first time. I would like some advice on what kit i need to buy before hand and also how much i am able to plug, in don't want to blow the fuses when drying my hair!

Assuming what ever you are using (caravan/campervan/trailer tent) has the necessary electrical equipment installed.....[;-)]

Your standard UK hook-up cable will work in a lot of French sites, but some sites use standard French two pin plus earth sockets.  You can buy a UK caravan hook-up to continental socket adapter from most UK camping accessory shops.

Also, polarity is not always consistent on the continent because European vans use a double pole electricity system which provides for differences in polarity.  It's often recommmended that you buy a small polarity tester to check the site electrics and prepare a spare adapter by reconfiguring the wiring to take into account the reversed polarity.  Always seek the advice of your camping accessory supplier on this matter.

Sites will generally offer a fixed supply, say 6 amps, but many offer a choice of paying extra for a larger rating.  If you're on a small amp supply, then if you use your various appliances at the same time, then you can inadvertantly trip the system.  The trip switch is usually situated in the box next to the hookup socket, so it's a simple matter of asking them at reception to reset it.  However, it has been known for the whole site to black out...

Have a great trip (no pun intended)....[:)]