Common Tree Frog

Michael

He's beautiful! We used to find them in the bathroom in our last house, when the weather got too dry, hiding under a damp facecloth. Now we've moved and we get midwife toads, the ones that go "beep beep" in the night. But you never see them.

• 9 months later...

Sorry about the quality, it's a long range recording with a small dictation machine but is THIS the sound of a tree frog I wonder ?

Whatever it is is in a tree adjacent to our verandah and is far far too loud to be a cricket. It's pretty constant too, except of course when yo try to get closer to try and spot whatever it is !

• 1 month later...

As a general rule below 300 metres although up to 800 metres is possible but unusual. I would say that most are going to be found between one and two hundred metres above sea level in old ponds, canals and drainage ditches.

Looks like you may have to travel a bit.[:D]

Chris

Interesting you mention ponds, canals, and drains as there are none of those within about a km of us, nor any other 'wet' resources, yet we have what must be dozens of tree frogs around us (or a few VERY mobile ones!) if indeed that is what the noise is !

They are one of the few French amphibians that will travel more than 500 metres from their zone of reproduction, many only travel some 50 or 100 metres from the water. The tree frogs have been known to move up to 5 kilometres from the water they use, that's really a huge distance for a little frog.

Chris

That sounds very like a cicada to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy5O4lnbFnw&feature=related

We get a load of them both here and along the Canal du Midi. They normally 'clock on' just before midday on a hot day. I have recently pulled several out of our pool and they are lovely little creatures!

The one on the youtube thingy sounds a little more butch than the ones we get here. They have a slightly higher 'voice'.