rats?

g8vkv

We've got a family of animals living in the electricity cupboard.

They look exactly like rats (grey - rodent-looking) - except their tails are furry.

We live on the edge of the forest (dept 83) and I wonder what they are?

They live together in a nest and are not afraid of being approached - I managed to catch one by grabbing it - and as I said, it looks like a small rat - except for its hairy tail.

Sounds like a dormouse to me as well. We've had some in the attic - they make a lot of noise at night. Caught 14 of them in  a humane trap and took them off into the forest a few miles away but still they come!

Still, they are quite cute and friendly - not like rats at all really.

Richard T

[IMG]http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee357/g8vkv/dormouse.jpg[/IMG]

That's the animal (not a good photo I'm afraid).

I'm wondering what to do with them. When I take off the 'lekky panel cover, they're all fast asleep in the nest, so I suspect they are about to hibernate.

I don't really fancy the idea of rodents (no matter how cute!) living close to electricity cables, so my plan is to grab them from the nest when they're dozy and release them back into the forest.

Bl**dy nature!

On the other hand, are they really edible? Has anyone tried? Recipes please :-)

[quote user="figa nera"]On the other hand, are they really edible? Has anyone tried? Recipes please :-)[/quote]

Edible Dormice

Recipe:

4 dormice

Flour

Oil

2 potatoes

Bouquet garni

Salt Pepper

Lemon peel

Vinegar (Wine or Balsamic)

Skin and gut the dormice and lay them flat. Gently flour them all over.

Fry the dormice in a little oil until browned.

Scald the potatoes unpeeled in water then peel and quarter them.

Add potatoes to the dormouse pan and toss in the juices and oil.

Transfer to a saucepan and de glaze the pan with water and a little wine if liked. You should have about ¾ pint of liquid.

Pour the liquid over the mice and potatoes.

Add some zested lemon peel and simmer slowly until the potatoes break up and the soup is thick.

Just before serving sprinkle on some wine vinegar

Let us know how you get on.

Richard T

For us it was really easy because they were found nesting in the electricity conduit at ground level and seemed reluctant to  move - just looked at me in a slightly bleary-eyed manner.

The cabling is boxed in and I simply removed the front panel - they were all curled up asleep in their nest (aahhh). I just grabbed them and put them in a bin before release.

I first got 1 (a kitten/pup/whatever - the others legged it). Then I got the adult, then the remaining 2 young.

They were pretty dozy and very easy to grab - I was a bit nervous at first, but pretty cocky after I got the adult.

I had a look again this morning and a couple of fresh oak leaves have appeared in the nest - so maybe the story isn't over yet!

Also - I wore rubber gloves because I didn't fancy a nip.

Apple got ours, we had tried all the stuff previously mentioned plus nuts. I think it depends on the time of year, after reading up on them they like acorns, pine nuts, red fruits and obviously apple. Hopefully it was just the one.

They are a protected species in the UK but they only occur in a small area, around Aylebury I think. Look up Gliss Gliss.

They are known to chew through anything, electricity cables etc. Not to be encouraged. They also leave their droppings and pee anywhere and everywhere. The droppings you can see, the pee you can't. They also hiberate for about 7 months a year. Be quick 'cos they'll be nodding off soon.

As you can probably tell, I'm not a fan !

Funy how you learn things as you get older!

I lived in Aylesbury for TOO many years, some 40 odd years ago my father was the 'council pied piper' but I never heard particular stories of the gliss gliss!

On the subject of food, when I lived in Africa, you could by rat pate in the supermarkets!

[quote user="g8vkv"]Today we found a shrewy-looking creature swimming in the piscine .....

[IMG]http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee357/g8vkv/shrew.jpg[/IMG]

... quite tiny and very damp.
[/quote]

Could well be a shrew http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/260.shtml

It is really and it's lucky that you found it too. If you ever have to handle one then it is a good idea to wear gloves because they are stroppy little perishers!

Many years ago (when we had cats), one of them brought a mouse indoors. I managed to trap it - my intention being to grab it by the tail and release it.

Lifted it by the tail - the little b*gg*r climbed up it and treated me to its teeth.

Took us ages to recapture it.