Likkle snake?

Jonzjob

I am hoping that Chris will see this and identify it for me? It was about 12 inches long and very shy. It was on our terrace, but vanished as soon as it saw movement through the glass doors. Didn't arf shift too!

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Snaketerrace1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Snaketerrace2.jpg[/IMG]

I have had a look through you snake site Chris, but couldn't find a match for it. It was a beautifull little thing!

The round eyes tell me it's not a poisonous make.

Don't know where 'mummy' is but we will keep a look out for her. It seems a great shame that a lot of the French treat all snakes as to be killed on sight.

This is an interesting site on them http://www.herpfrance.com/reptile/montpellier_snake_malpolon_monspessulanus.php .You probably know it?

We still have that shed skin and I will keep it as long as I can. It is, to me, a lovely find!

Thank you for your help Chris!

• 4 weeks later...
I am new to this site, so forgive me if this has been covered before. This evening, my cat brought me a small snake, dead, approx 12 inches long, greyish smooth skin with patterned head. have checked out the site www.planetepassion.eu and from the photos it appears to be a young whip snake, which I understand is not harmful to humans. Would they be harmful to my young cats? We have sighted several snakes in/around my hay over the last few weeks, as well as some shed skin, but I could not identify them from the photos, one was at least 1.5 metres long, and very green in colour, but not terribly 'thick'. another was approx a metre long, unfortunately, it was so fast I did not see its head, its body was grey/black with very fine markings, but not 'stripey' we have seen more snakes this past month than in the last four years we have been here, why would this be? Although I am quite fascinated by them and think they are beautiful, i am also a little afraid of them.

None of the non venomous snakes would present a danger to your cats, even a young cat is far too large for a snake to even consider as prey, voles are about the limit. Although I don't know where you are in France there are only a few snakes that can be more than a metre in length and I would guess that Aesculapian snake would be a good suspect. You may also have Grass snakes if there is water with frogs nearby. Then of course there are the Whip snakes that you have already identified.

Why have you seen a lot this year?  I don't know, I would say that it's just coincidence. I've had a lousy year for snakes and seen very few, so it's just a case of being in the right place at the right time, (or the wrong place at the wrong time if you are one of the people that doesn't like them).

Chris