Snake in swimming pool - what was it?

Kitty

I am trying to identify a snake.  Six inches long, it was thin and greeny brown.  It's head was much wider than its body.  It had a 'V' shaped mark on its neck in yellow and black.

I was swimming in a friend's pool this afternoon when my 13 year old son spotted it swimming exceedingly fast.  At first, I thought that it was a slow worm.  I was going to get it out with a flip flop and then realised that it was something like a viper.  It was all a bit surreal because, as soon I thought that it could be a poisonous snake, it started following me in the pool.  My son was getting really distressed that I was going to get bitten because it was moving towards me quicker than I could swim.

My friend managed to catch it in a net and release it into the scrub.

But what was it? I have looked on the Internet, including Chris P's Planet Passion website.

Do baby snakes not have the same markings as adults?  I can't identify it because it did not have zig zags on its body.

Thanks one and all.  It was a good swimmer and very fast in the water.  I shall tell the owner of the swimming pool.

I spend a lot of time in that pool rescuing little beasts - grasshoppers, flies, spiders etc.  I get a pile of leaves and help them into them, letting them dry out on the side of the pool.