Help please; which tense?

Kittycat

Salut,

I'd like to say: "we went to his place so that I could give him his gift....."

I'm stuck after " nous sommes allés chez lui pour..."

I thought originally it would be the passé compose ..." pour je lui ai donné son cadeau..", because I've been told to keep the same tense in sentence construction, then I thought maybe it should be something like the conditional perfect or future perfect and now I'm really confused.

I'd be grateful for any help!

"pour lui donner son cadeau" is the way I would say it.

But I guess you could get fancy and use the subjunctive:

(pour que je puisse lui donner son cadeau) - which, strictly speaking, should be in the imperfect subjunctive but don't ask me what that is!! (pusse???)

[quote]"pour lui donner son cadeau" is the way I would say it. But I guess you could get fancy and use the subjunctive: (pour que je puisse lui donner son cadeau) - which, strictly speaking, should be in t...[/quote]

If you were to use the imperfect subjunctive in speech, I expect people would fall about laughing. It would sound incredibly pretentious! The imperfect subjunctive is not used in modern spoken French, even if strictly speaking the grammar of the sentence would require it!

M

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Thought I'd follow this up with the correction made by my French teacher. He said it's: ''...pour que je lui donne (subj)...son cadeau'' Thanks to all for your suggestions & help.[/quote]

Just for the record, "pour lui donner" is also correct French, just 2 different ways of saying the same thing.