Alliance Francais - has anyone tried them?

Berlioz

Has anyone tried them?  I am thinking of an intensive (3 hours per day, 5 days a week) beginner’s course when we move to Toulouse in Jul/Aug. starting in September for a month then scaling down to a couple of sessions per week.

I took one look at the questions on AF test sheet and decided that I don't know much grammar at all! I could read the questions which is something I suppose. I do speak but cannot understand the answers, too fast!

I found evening classes no use at all, I needed to see everything written down to recall an answer (too visual memory/too many pills  I suppose) on the basis that in management training they always told me that if the same method fails 3 times it is the wrong method, I moved to Michael Thomas in the car (nothing written, just sounds to remember and lots of mnemonics,) I dread not being able to answer the phone (although I did the other day and managed to take down a French phone number) or speak to the girl’s teachers.  My OH (fluent) will be away 10 days per month.

Part of our reason for moving is my health  I  have 'brain fog/memory problems'  so my confidence at learning anything new  is rock bottom although my motivation is 100%   !!

Donna

Donna

I attended a one month intensive course with Alliance Francaise in London many years ago. It was for one month and I feel it was worth the money as it was then subsidized by the French Consulate and we were not allowed to speak English unless absolutely necessary. The instructor spoke even the course instructions in French. Of course if you really didn't understand something then they would say it in English.

I found the whole experience very useful as it gave me confidence to speak French even if I wasn't sure of what I was saying. They made sure that we spoke out loud when we read from books etc..

For me it was good.

I too did an intensive course with them in London back in Febuary but only the two week course of three hours a day. It was excellent, I plan on doing another two week intensive course in a few months time. They are meant to have the best instructors anywhere and I cannot praise the one I had for my class enough, she was excellent. Would highly recommend Alliance Francaise to anyone. I say just do it, best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks, I will sign up!

Other alternaive was one that seemed that anyone over 20 was geriatric.

I will let you know how I get on. I have worked out how to do the school run, park, catch sncf, then metro and arrive in time (in theory)

D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Donna,

I can add to the remarks already made about Alliance Francais, I did a four week course and an intensive two week course with them, in London.  My Teacher was excellent, if the classes in Toulouse are anything like as Professional as they were in London, you will be very happy.  I have joined the Greta at Albi from September, as it is cheaper at E5.50 an hour, and the classes are on mondays and fridays for three hours each of these days.  I don't know if you have one at the local school near where you live, but this one was recommended to me by a language teacher.  Which ever you choose, good luck.

jeanneclaire