What is the easiest way to learn the language (based in Lincoln, England)

Moley

Greetings

Have been to France for the last 3 years and would like to look at eventually moving there. Our language skills are limited to school level and we would like to hear from people as to what they found the easiest method.

We are both in our mid fourties, so guess the brain will find it challenging.

I look forward to any comments

Moley

hi

I think that its very much down to individual to be honest.   We have tried several methods; firstly french evening classes in uk.   Kind of enjoyed this method of learning, nice to have company to learn with, and also met some nice people.  the downside was that once winter got into full swing i just couldnt face going out after a hard day's work, but did got to classes for about 1.5 years before giving up.    Then moved on to buying a teach yourself french book, but didnt get on too well with that.    Finally moved onto Michael Thomas CDs about 6 months before coming over, which we are still using, and which I find a really good method.

Now that we are here, we should of course be going to local language classes, but i confess we don't, but nonethless my French has improved, and I force myself to check dictionary every time i come across a word i don't understand, and even carry one with me to (probably very annoyingly !) press upon local tradesmen if they use a word i dont understand so that i can note it for future use.

We are similar age to yourselves, and other half has struggled terribly as he has not done any studying since school, whereas i have been an intermittent eternal student so find it easier (plus I have lived abroad before), so I think its impossible to say how difficult/easy each individual will find it.    We have been here 8 months now and OH still only musters up about 5 words in french, although he understands a lot and could say more.     Beware of letting the one of a couple who speaks the better french do all of it, a trap we have fallen into, because it has really inhibited his progress.

Hi Moley

There was a similar discussion here a while ago and I enclose a link to that thread - lots of useful ideas were mentioned.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2/734867/ShowPost.aspx#734867

I wouldn't worry about your age (I'm of the same generation) - how quickly you learn will depend to a high degree on your motivation and especially on perseverance.  Best of luck!

Hello Moley

Im mid 40s and am trying to teach my self at the moment , I have loads of cds which are fine , but the words i pick up quickest are from flash cards , I play a little game where  they go into 2 piles of ones i have got right and ones i get wrong , also i have the names of things written all over the house , and i do little jobs like shopping list , calender writting ect in french, start to think in french . when i go out into the garden to look for the dog I think . Là où est mon chien. instad of thinking it in english ect..... It works for me. I just wish i had some one local i could talk to, to practise with.

good luck P 

I don't like the BBC French langauge courses ( programmes are good to watch) but I don't like their course books. To me, there seems to be too much emphasis on learning a phrase rather than the make up of the sentence eg grammer. They are great if you having a weeks holiday but not if you really want to master the language.

Michel Thomas was a revelation to me and introduced me to the grammatical aspects on French in a way that I could understand and learn quickly.

I have also bought French work books called Grammaire Progressive du Français published by CLE. They are inexpensive and user friendly.  I would recommend buying the Niveau Débutant even if you have some French knowledge as I am sure you will still learn something from it that you didn't know before. You can get them from Amazon.fr.

If you want someone to talk to, and have skype, you could try signing up to http://www.mylanguageexchange.com/Default.asp

It's cheap, at $24 per year (try getting any language tuition for that!) or, if you don't want to pay, you can become a "regular" member which basically means you take pot luck, sign up and wait for someone to contact you (if you pay, you can contact others). You then can find a partner who wants help with English, and who in return will help you with your French. You can communicate via skype, or e-mail (if you want help with written French), and you can specify what you want to do, and what you want from your "partner", and even look for partners of similar age, interests, etc.

Beryl, there's a relatively new CLE book which I got hold of a few months ago, called "Grammaire en Dialogues" (niveau debutant). It comes with a CD of the dialogues in each chapter and goes over most of the useful grammar that you need as a basis.

Just to add to what's been said so far, the CLE International publications include Grammar, Conjugation, Vocabulary, Communication (real life situations) Literature and Pronunciation. I, and French friends who help me learn, think they are brilliant.  Each range usually has a beginner, intermediate and advanced book and some have accompanying cds. 

You can get a limited selection on Amazon.fr or .com or if you live near a university town , you will usually find them in the bookshops.

In Poitiers, "Gilbert Joseph" has a comprehensive languages department and will order what they may not have it in stock.

Thank you Betty and Bastet, you sold me [:)]. After looking on Amazon.com they didn't have it and had only a few of the other series, I went to Amazon.fr and ordered it, they seem to have all of the series.

Thank you again, if it helps me it will help anyone [:$] I am really struggling to come to grips with the grammar, so fingers crossed.