Evasive agent

john h

I have provisionally agreed to sell my apartment in France to a purchaser who is also happy to inherit my tenant who has occupied property for over 3 yrs with no hiccups with rental payments. Naturally the buyer wants to see the tenancy agreement for perusal. I have repeatedly asked my letting agent to email or fax the agreement to me but my requests are ignored. I am baffled as to why he will not provide this or even a response to my emails with an explanation. I am afraid of losing the buyer.

Two - things. I am surprised you did not ask for and check any rental agreement (drawn up by  the letting agency?) with your tenant - after all you want to know what rental was being paid, who is responsible for what (taxes, breakages, repairs etc), what percentage the agent was taking as management charges, and what net figure is due to you. Othrwise how do you know he is not letting it for a 1,000 euros a month, say, and telling you he is only getting 500?

Second, surely the tenant has a copy of the rental agreement. Can't you ask him for a copy?

The Notaire will want all this sorted out in any event if and when you reach the stage of signing the "compromis de vente" (= pre-sale contract), as the tenant undoubtedly has certain rights which will have to be respected, including by any new owner.

P-D de R.

Thanks for the replies. The same agent has been looking after the property for the past 4 years and the same tenant has occupied the property. I have never had any contact with the tenant. The agent sends me a relevé de gérance every month and all is above board with charges etc. The purchaser naturally wants to see the tenancy agreement as I think his intention is to get vacant possession in a few years and use property for himself. In the meantime he is happy with a tenant paying regular rental income.

I am baffled as to why the agent will not forward the tenancy agreement to me.?