To know to know

egger

Depends on what you 'know'. Savoir = to know a fact, or how to do something (Je sais nager - I know how to swim). Connaître = to be acquainted with (Je connais les Dupont - I know the Duponts; Je connais Paris - I know Paris).

M

Hi Jimmy, I did say I was sorry for the spelling. My books are in the car because I had a French lesson today, it was raining so I didnt, want to go out in the rain and fetch them. Yes I know I am very lazy.[blink]  I get headache because I have problems with any written language, like mixing up i and e, if 2 words have a slight difference, then I can not see that difference [8-)], etc etc. That does not mean I will let your language defeat me, I will win, it just might take me a little longer. I have learned a great deal, but I am having problems speaking French, I think mainly I dont get to practice much. really its a confidence thing, but I am getting there.

[quote user="egger"]Hi Jimmy, I did say I was sorry for the spelling. My books are in the car because I had a French lesson today, it was raining so I didnt, want to go out in the rain and fetch them. Yes I know I am very lazy.[blink]  I get headache because I have problems with any written language, like mixing up i and e, if 2 words have a slight difference, then I can not see that difference [8-)], etc etc. That does not mean I will let your language defeat me, I will win, it just might take me a little longer. I have learned a great deal, but I am having problems speaking French, I think mainly I dont get to practice much. really its a confidence thing, but I am getting there.[/quote]

I know that you said you were sorry for the spelling, I have written the correct spelling just so that you know how to write it the next time, there is not a problem, do not be sorry, it is normal. I am sure that I make errors in English and you can correct me so that I can improve my language. Thank you in advance. For your problems of mixing up and others, tell me when it happens, I will try to help you.

I know that you said you were sorry for the spelling, I wrote (could also be: 'have written')the correct spelling just so that you know how to write it the next time, there is not  a problem,  I would not be sorry,  ( could also be : Do not be sorry ) it is normal. I am sure that I make errors in English and you can correct me so that I can improve my language. Thank you in advance. For your problems of mixing ( mixing up or confusion) and others; tell me when it happens, I will try to help you.

Hope that helps JimmyTT

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I know that you said you were sorry for the spelling, I wrote (could also be: 'have written')the correct spelling just so that you know how to write it the next time, there is not  a problem,  I would not be sorry,  ( could also be : Do not be sorry ) it is normal. I am sure that I make errors in English and you can correct me so that I can improve my language. Thank you in advance. For your problems of mixing ( mixing up or confusion) and others; tell me when it happens, I will try to help you.

Hope that helps JimmyTT

[/quote]

THANKS !

'Je ne sais pas' = I don't know.

'Je ne connais pas...' = I don't know / am not acquainted with...

'Ignorer' - to be ignorant of, ie to be unaware of, not to know. It's not as common as the first two - people might think you very well educated (or maybe a bit pretentious![:)]) if you used it too much!

M

Thanks for all the time people have spent on this. Now je ne sais pas = I dont know Je ne connais pas = I dont know (person town). je ne sais pas = I dont know Je ne connais pas = I dont know (person town). je ne sais pas = I dont know Je ne connais pas = I dont know (person town). je ne sais pas = I dont know Je ne connais pas = I dont know (person town). je ne sais pas = I dont know Je ne connais pas = I dont know (person town). Gettting there.[:D]

Ignorer = Dont bother [Www], I like this one.