teaching English to the French

Kylie

We have been asked by our neighbour to help her 12 year old son with his English does anyone one have advice on learning aids we could use to make it a bit more interesting. Word games or ineractive things on the internet?

Many Thanks

I teach ( well not really teach)  but I have a group of 5 adults from the "village" who showed an interest in learning English - so we get together once a week for a couple of hours and although it is mainly conversation I do give them exercises to do plus of course send them off with homework! Now in the third year and it is great to see the progress they are making.

I devise some " missing words" "crosswords " etc but have found these 2 sites quite useful plus of course the BBC languages. 

http://iteslj.org/

http://www.britishcouncil.org/learnenglish-central-grammar-grammar-games-archive.htm

There are plenty of DVDs too available just do a search on Google - there is a lot out there to help you .

Get them to read Asterix books in English. I've just started doing this with the original French Asterix books to help me with my French as every word in Asterix is conversation. I see the words, how they're used, the logic and then I can visualise the words when I hear French being spoken. For me that has been the single most helpful thing in learning the lingo.

Hi Kylie

As it happens our village Familles Rurales have asked us to start an English class, any tips gratefully received!  We have an idea to start the way I started learning French, parrot-fashion!  One problem is that we're not sure of the general level of English, another is how many will turn up.  But I think it will be mainly conversation to start with, i thing the grammar may be a step too far to start with!  [blink]

FairyNuff

I teach French im my local Maison de L'Amitié and my intention is to focus on conversation; however, many of my students like to see things written down and are not comfortable without grammar. I try to avoid it as far as possible because it can kill the pleasure of learning a language - that is to communicate.

As for teaching a child, I would want to know something about the school syllabus in order to be able to enhance what is already being learnt.