Sympathy for ill health and other problems

Alane

I need to write a letter to the man who cuts our grass.

He's told my neighbour that he can no longer cut my grass due to ill health and he appears to have a whole raft of problems. The property is a second home and we live in the UK and I've just returned from a short visit where we picked up the news. He's also returned the keys to the gates so obviously doesn't intend to return.

I want to write him a letter confirming the contract is cancelled by him but the bit I'm struggling with is how to say in French "I am sorry to hear of your ill health and hope that you make a speedy recovery". The difficulty is that I don't know if the illness is chronic or acute and if, for example, it's a terminal untreatable illness I don't want to cause distress. If anyone has any suggestions as to how this would be handled in French I'd be very grateful.

The twist is that he's invoiced us for cutting the grass in July when no cutting has taken place so I'm also going to have to point out that he's made an error in his billing. He's a pleasant easy going chap so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming it is a mistake but it's more money than I'd could/want to pay for work not done so I'm going to have to politely say that I won't be paying it.

(I should point out that there's absolutely no doubt that the work hasn't been done and that hs has been paid for all work carried out up to and including June - ie what he is due)

Any advice on the letter wording would be gratefully received,

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some helpful phrases.

I just wanted to point out that here in 79 for example, after more than 3 months with little rain, the grass is growing like crazy again. I cut mine a week ago and it's already looking long again. At this time of year I normally don't have to cut it at all, it's usually brown and frazzled. If you are only visiting from time to time it may be best to check with a neighbour that your grass has or hasn't been cut. Looking at mine now I would say that it hadn't been done for weeks.

Thanks Sid for the update.

Unfortunately there's no doubt that he hasn't cut the grass since the end of June.

I probably should have chased him up earlier but was too busy.

I would still very much appreciate any help anyone can give on the wording of the letter though.

I would say something along those lines : " Je suis désolée d'apprendre que votre état de santé n'est pas au mieux, et je vous souhaite un prompt rétablissement. "  ( concerning his health .)

Concerning the invoice " Vous avez fait une erreur , involontaire , je m'en doute bien, concernant la derniere facture que vous m'avez envoyée. En effet, l'herbe n'ayant pas été coupée en Juillet , la facture devient obsolète. "

Hope this helps .