Did you know? (For linguists and grammar pedants)

YCCMB

Jonz, you wouldn't believe this but I could have flashed your photo to my walking group yesterday.

A new person asked about me, where I am from, etc.  Yes, there IS a great curiosity about you if you are the only Brit around (to tease and have some fun with).  So, out came the potted life history and I just happened to mention that my OH was galois.

Oh, does he wear a keelt?  No, you are thinking of an Ecossais, someone answered to show off their knowledge of international affairs.  Me, I couldn't make out what a keelt was until the penny dropped.  Oh, do you mean the jupe that le jouer de tennis, Ondiemeuré wears?  Oh yes, we saw his wedding photos............!

So then I said that I could show them a photo of someone I know who isn't the above mentioned tennis player but who also wears a skirt.  And, of course, you know that they don't wear any culottes underneath their jupe, don't you?

A respectable retired teacher and grandmother of three looked sceptical and said oh, we would have to vérifier that!

So Jonz, knowing your love of walking and should you ever be in my neck of the woods, I extend to you an invitation to come for a walk with us.  I will prime les filles beforehand that you will be dressed in your keelt.

Weren't you looking for somewhere in the south west to spend a week or so?

When it was HM the Q's last jubilee, and we were still neighbours, the forces did a bid parade in Windsor and I got some lovely photos of many men in skirts, complete with some of the most beeeeeautiful sporrans you'll ever see. I stuck the pics on Facebook, and to my surprise, a friend of a friend popped up to say that one of HER friends actually makes them for the Scots guards, and then the maker herself popped up and said that yes, they were (so to speak) her sporrans!

I'd show you...but the constraints of this forum and its archaic software prevent it.