what does this mean?

Patf

Sacré bleu, Patf! That's a weird one...

It looks like a slight misquote: I can only find it as "Baise la main que tu ne peux couper." No mention of putting it on your head!

As you probably already found out, it's from a 10C Persian poet called Abu Shakour - and seems quite well-known in France, but I don't see anything about it in English.

And how could it possibly be applied to nettles and brambles?!

And how could it possibly be applied to nettles and brambles?

--------------

I wonder if, in the context mentioned, it could mean that both those plants are so difficult to eradicate, you might as well love them for - respectively - usefulness as a fertiliser, and provider of delicious blackberries?

Yes it's a puzzle. I should have added that the OP asked which herbicide would kill them.

So maybe it means something like "don't treat something/someone who is a problem too harshly. Better to try to correct a little at a time." Herbicides etc are frowned on , on that forum.

I didn't know that the Turcs spoke french. Maybe the Persians did.

Here's the link:

https://www.rustica.fr/forum-jardinage/orties-ronces-t18482.html

Yes, I think Persians did use French a lot. Certainly the Persian girls at my school in the 1960s spoke fluent French (very dispiriting for the rest of us in the A-level French class!

The French sites I have seen seem to vary in interpretation. Some, as WB suggests above, and some give a notion of hypocrisy mixed in there.