new year, new word!

mint

Wow, Eric, that is the most thorough explanation that anyone could have wished for and I hadn't realise that there were so many implications to la glottophobie!

But I did see Mélenchon, around the time of the general election, taking questions from journalists and pretending to not understand a question from a woman with a SW accent and then, to compound his error, asking for a question from someone who spoke French!

He was roundly condemned in the press for it but I guess he is just as arrogant as any other politician?

I myself have to be very careful how I pronounce words with "en" (as in mentir!) because around these parts, many people say it differently to the regular accent parisien[:)]

Father Xmas put a great little book into my stocking this year, called a Shakespeare Insult Generator, based on the language of his plays and allowing a pick and mix approach.

I promise not to use these on any of our sensitive members, but here is an example which made I chuckle: musty puppy-headed ratsbane.

I wonder whether any of our in depth French speakers could translate this, Norman, perhaps?

'glottophobie' good word, Mint. It should pass  into the english language too.
My favourites are 'bobologies', and cochonneries (which I think I've mentioned before.)
As for accents, 'pain' is pronounced 'ping' in the deep SW. And they always sound the final 'e' in a word as a sort of 'uh'. Plus a gutteral rolling 'r'.
I wonder where that comes from? Not the Geordies.

There is an online Shakespearien insult generator that might tickle your fancy Wooly, how about "Thou beslubbering dread-bolted odiferous stench!" ?

Find it here

http://www.literarygenius.info/a3-shakespeare-insult-generator.htm

Try as I might, I can't make my links clickable though.

Mint - I knew about bobos, but this is from an article from the local paper quoting our french doctor, when the grandson joined the family practise:
«Il y a beaucoup de bobologie mais il faut rester constamment en éveil

pour ne pas passer à côté de quelque chose de grave quand c'est grave.

Faire le bon diagnostic...».