Staunch atheist that I am, this pancake fte was a puzzle to me for years, now I see it's Candlemas it sort of falls into place... must admit familiarity with Christian festivals would probably explain a fair bit of French rural life... does anyone know ALL those saints whose days are celebrated?

Some I know very well (14 years' convent education) but others I have to look up. Either way, I love the fact that they are celebrated, and that often more than one Saint is commemorated on a certain day so you can either pray for one or be selective!

Admittedly, it all makes a lot more sense if you are RC or have had a Catholic upbringing. My parents always referred to the liturgical year when talking about certain dates. And even younger people in France talk of Toussaints or l'Assomption, but I guess that's primarily because they're public holidays?

I think it's lovely that some French people celebrate their own Saint's day, ie the feast of the Saint they are named after by buying friends drinks or whatever. But even better when a company gives their staff a day off because it's the industry's patron saint's day!

Margaret

Pucette, now I'm confused because I can't see what pancakes have got to do with this. 2nd February is the feast of the "Presentation of the Lord", ie Jesus being taken up to Jerusalem by his parents, meets Simeon, etc. It's also known as the close of the Christmas festival of light falling forty days after Christmas. Each church usually has a service at which candles are blessed before Mass and carried in procession in to the church. (Remember this well from my youth, it was always very cold waiting around outside!) Even looking through today's readings (Malachi, Hebrews, St Luke) no reference to food so les crepes must be a peculiarly French connection. Tell us more please if you know why. Incidentally, I see that Ash Wednesday falls on 25th Feb this year so Shrove Tuesday in Britain will be on the 24th.

Margaret