http://www.lefigaro.fr/litteraire/20040812.LIT0006.html
I've never read anything by Elizabeth Goudge; does she really merit a place alongside the Bront sisters and George Eliot?

Me neither but I can't imagine she's in their league. A quick search at msn.search comes up with numerous references to her (1900-1984), quite a prolific writer, her 1944 Green Dolphin Street was made into a movie in '47 starring Lana Turner. A romantic novelist, "Mary Lindsay, aged 50, has a distinguished career in the city. Inherits a cottage in a village she's only visited once as child. On impulse decides to move there." or "Shy, nondescript, Miss Brown lost her London home and livelihood in the war. Chance meeting on train leads to, etc." Would this really go down well amongst modern day French readers? Possibly, as aga sagas appear popular so why not.

Also came across a link to "Anglophile Books" that lists "some of our favourite authors" as being EM Delafield, Elizabeth Gaskell, Rumer Godden and Elizabeth Goudge and, much to my surprise, Vera Brittain. Yes, Vera Brittain. They also like Elizabeth von Arnim. Has anyone read In Elizabeth's Garden?

M