Charlotte Gray

David584

Having found the original topic re the books that we enjoy reading, I updated the topic and expected it to appear near the top of the list - it failed to do so. This may have something to do with the new forum software and the fact that the original topic was back in August.

However I digress. I know that a number of you enjoy the books written by Sebastian Faulks and this is to let you know that Channel 4 (Channel 104 on Sky Digibox) are broadcasting the televised version of Charlotte Gray this coming Saturday at 9.10pm UK time.

Having read and thoroughly enjoyed the book, I certainly will be watching the programme.

I didn't think the film was very good, sanitised as Clark said, a bit of a cop out but for me, not just at the end.

This film is more or less about Odette Churchill, a real life heroine and one of her 3 daughters and my sister are very good friends. Known simply as Mrs Odette Hallowes she sadly died at her Walton on Thames home in 1995.

Her modesty was legendary,  in Who's Who she described herself as ............Housewife !!

ODETTE HALLOWES, G.C.

“They are all our mothers and sisters, you would not be able to either learn or play in freedom today, yes, you may not even have been born, if such women had not stood their soft, slender bodies before you and your future like protective steel shields throughout the Fascist terrors.”
Odette Hallowes, 10 June 1993, speaking at Ravensbruck, the concentration camp where Violette Szabo and two other real Charlottes were executed.

Read Jerrard Tickell's Odette and Odette Churchill by Catharine Sanders. 

Have just set the satellite receiver to auto select and noticed that there is an hours documentary before the film with the true stories of four 'real' Charlotte Grays - should be interesting.

BTW finished the book this morning in bed instead of coming on here with a cup of tea as usual! (thanks for the loan Coral - it will be in the post this afternoon).