Visit to Paris

Harley

Well if you wanted to do something cultural you could bring the kids to the Centre Pompidou, and then you can pop across the road to Dame Tartine's - used to be one of my favourite haunts (1998, hope it's still there) where they served great cakes and coffee, overlooking the fountain with all interesting bits of modern sculpture, and also just beside Les Halles for great shopping...

I remember on my first trip to Paris when I was little, just loving the bateau mouche.  But it might be a bit cold if you are planning to go any time soon.  A friend who lives in Paris with her kids has a book called the Guide du routard Paris junior, might be worth a look through in your local Fnac....

Don't forget that most museums and galleries (including the Louvre) are free on the first Sunday of each month. Expect queues but they move rapidly as no-one is taking any money.

If the children are into scarey stuff there are the Catacombs at Montparnasse - wrap up well though!

Have fun..........helen

Small children are not my forte but the child in me (and most of my friends) always enjoys sailing boats on the pond in the Tuileries.  Lots more lovely open spaces to run around in too especially Parc Monceau (8th) a personal favourite, Jardins du Luxembourg (6th) - where there's a pond with lots of fish to feed.  Do children like climbing things?  Not just the Tour d'Eiffel, though I'd imagine they'd love that, but how about up the belfry of Notre Dame or, even better the dome of Sacre Coeur, fab view from the top for everyone.  And on the way down stop at the small funfair at the bottom of the steps (Place Willette?) where even grown-ups are allowed on the carrousel.  Several super toy shops in the Marais and most smart patisseries also sell scrummy ice cream.  M

A few suggestions;

I agree the Pompidou centre is good, but with children that young probably not a good idea unless you are going in summer whereby you can enjoy the open roof gardens and sit on the cobblestones outside which are warmed by the sun, as well as the restaurants, otherwise a 2 year old will become bored.

The Eiffel tower is a must for children if you have never been. If you have already been then an excellent alternative is the Tour Montparnase. There is a fast lift direct to the top, excellent views of Paris AND to the eiffel tower, and hardly ever a queue!

Montmartre by night, although a bit touristy is excellent for it's boutiques, large selection of restaurants catering for every need, and the street artists. After eating and nearby the beautiful Sacre Coeur is a must - if you arrive at dusk and sit on the steps, you can watch the Eiffel tower twinkling in all it's glory, well worth a visit! My favourite restaurant there and one of the oldest is "la Mère Catherine", a traditional bistro with resident singer and piano player, Edith piath style & red check tablecloths!

The Champs Elysees, and the fairground at the far end near the Place de la Concorde is good for children.

Buy yourself a carnet of metro tickets or better still take a taxi to get yourself about.There's loads more but it does depend on what time of year you have planned the trip for.

best regards,

Paul