Il ne faut jurer de rien!

SaligoBay

Went to see it yesterday and loved it!   Not a hugely original plot, but what a feast for the eyes.  Design done by At Hoang, she who did Astérix & Cleopatre, and quite a few other biggies.  Scrumptious!!   If you like rich costumes and sets and posh frox, you'll be in mumbo jumbo Heaven!

Set in 1830 Paris, Van Buck (the cute Gerard Jugnot, of Les Choristes fame) wants his rakish nephew to marry Cécile, the fiery daughter of Madame Le Mante, Baronne de France.  Rakish nephew isn't interested, but agrees to a bet that he will manage at least to kiss her before tomorrow midnight.  It's a romantic comedy, so of course they fall in lurv in spite of everything, and The Kiss takes place just before the last stroke of midnight.  In a brothel, bien sûr! 

The abbé was a laugh too.  Thought all his birthdays had come at once when nightie-clad Cécile asks him to come into her room to take her confession.  "Votre confession doit commencer avec un petit châtiment corporel..... bon, je dit petit, mais on va voir....." LOL, but she's already out the door and locked him in to play with his own chasuble.

Génial! 

Sorry, everyone, but I quite like modern French cinema.  It's funny!   

I am rather off French films at the moment having seen the 'les poupées rousses', which was not as good as 'l'auberge espagnol' and the truly dire 'Travaux'. I went to see Wallace and Gromitt yesterday in VO, I would definitely recommend that, but don't take a French person who doesn't speak English, I was laughing alone, apparently the subtitles are not so great.

I know what you mean, Tourangelle.   For a long time I didn't see any French films at all, I was so annoyed at "Bienvenue au Gite"!    And all the trailers for new films, I found myself thinking - oh look it's him again - and her - oh and there's that other one I saw last week in - and isn't that....

But for the moment I'm back on track.  Definitely the Oued next!

edit: forgot to say, the lad in l'Oued is the one who was Chouchou's pal in Chouchou! 

I know what you mean, Tourangelle.   For a long time I didn't see any French films at all, I was so annoyed at "Bienvenue au Gite"!    And all the trailers for new films, I found myself thinking - oh look it's him again - and her - oh and there's that other one I saw last week in - and isn't that....

I've often reflected on this.  Similar size population to the UK, much bigger cinema industry (I stand corrected?), yet the same often old faces popping up all the time.  Personally I find it quite comforting but familiarity does also breed contempt. 

Loved all the films Gill mentions.  Was anyone brave enough to see "Innocence"?

M

I went to see Wallace and Gromitt yesterday in VO, I would definitely recommend that, but don't take a French person who doesn't speak English, I was laughing alone, apparently the subtitles are not so great.

We saw it yesterday in VO.  The cinema was absolutely packed, and mostly French too. The Frenchman next to us clearly found it hilarious, he nearly laughed his tête off!

I think they must have been mostly relying on subtitles, because when there weren't any they didn't laugh.  Like the jar of "Middle Age Spread" on the table, and lots of other details that didn't get translated.

I swear we were the only ones who understood when Gromit switches on the van radio and "Bright Eyes" is playing!   And of course the entire Thunderbirds thing just went over their heads.

Ah, that whole business of cultural references!   Possibly harder to get up to speed with than the language, because for quite a long time you don't even know they're there!   

Yes, saw the film  'il ne faut jurer de rien' on Monday, very good I thought, a cross between 'Les mariés de l'An II' meets 'Fanfan La Tulipe'  and  'Ridicule' meets 'Cartouche'. This Alexandre (?) Dujardin is the new Belmondo to me (the Bébel of the aforementioned 'Les mariés de l'An II'), à voir c'est sûr.