French Number Plates

Liz

I was listening earlier to an item on BBC Radio 4 'From our Own Correspondent' about the imminent change from Department based car number plates.  You can see the text at .http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4549542.stm  the recent programme doesn't yet seem to be available to 'listen again'.  I will certainly miss these localised plates, I love to know where people have come from.

Incidentally I found that the BBC web site was pretty determined to send me to the International pages instead of the UK ones.  I don't look at the BBC site very often but I cannot recall being shunted off to International before.  Does anyone know if they have changed the site?

Liz

Re the Plates - I hadn't picked up on that at all, so thank you.

[quote user="Liz"]

Incidentally I found that the BBC web site was pretty determined to send me to the International pages instead of the UK ones.  I don't look at the BBC site very often but I cannot recall being shunted off to International before.  Does anyone know if they have changed the site?

Liz

[/quote]

Yes they changed it a few days ago. I think you can select your preferred version (International or UK) though.

Yes, that's sad   [U]

The Parisians will no longer be able to say "espèce de paysan!" as they push a poor old 2CV, from 37, along the rue de Rivoli

and the paysans will no longer be able to say "espèce de cinglé de Parisian" when they see a 75 flying past.

Why do all the good old things have to disappear...

Another thing is we will no longer be able to tell the résidences secondaires with the 75s parked outside, well I suppose they're nearly all GB anyway now!

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Liz"]

I was listening earlier to an item on BBC Radio 4 'From our Own Correspondent' about the imminent change from Department based car number plates.  You can see the text at .http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4549542.stm  the recent programme doesn't yet seem to be available to 'listen again'.  I will certainly miss these localised plates, I love to know where people have come from.

Liz

[/quote]

Oh gosh that could be a tragedy, how will we know to avoid Parisians on the road who drive as though they are participating in the 24 hour Grand Prix rather than on the beautiful Brittany roads.

CHRIS

Re. the BBC site; I don't believe it's changed. It recognises the IP address of the viewer and shows the appropriate pages.

I like to listen to R5Live football commentaries but for Premiership matches I get a message to say that the service is only available to UK listeners. I haven't logged -in or registered so it's obviously aware of where I connect.