Two Lipsticks and a Lover - a year in suspenders

Russethouse

funny you should ask this ...... i've been away from the forum for a while ..... but your question has motivated me to re-inscribe and get typing!

no - i have not read the book - nor am i reading the book.  but i have recently read an article by the author (in fact i think it was a short passage from the book) which made me laugh out loud (in amazement as opposed to finding it funny) - it was completely ludicrous .... this person most definitely has never lived in normandy!!!

i complained about the article to my husband and my daughter, and was very tempted to write to the magazine who printed the article - but, as happens, i didn't.  and then i noticed your question - and i couldn't remain silent!

i could say more (!) - but i'm interested to know why you ask the question.  are you reading the book?  as i said, i haven't read it - the article was enough for me!  but i'd love to know what you think.

dylan

I read the article too,dylan, made me want to throw up rather than laugh!  I seem to remember one too many references to parisien lawyer friends rather than first hand experiences.  Maybe I've seen too many blood stained aprons and slippers (and absolutely nothing wrong with that either!)to fall for the stereotypical 'French women' are ALL so sexy and sophisticated and English women are drunken slobs.  As big a load of old tosh as the the misconception that every English person has a full fry up every morning.

I have just finished the book - I tend to read a 'light book' after a heavier one and this fitted the bill, it was amusing, some bits seemed well observed, others far fetched. Do I really believe that French women ALWAYS wear matching underwear ? Hmmm.......

As far as I can tell the author lives in Beziers and commuted to Paris for much of the research for this book so I suspect that she was talking mainly about a 'certain' type of French woman, although I have to say I have a friend who fits the type very well!

As a light hearted read, fine.........a bit of pleasant froth with enough kernels of truth to keep it interesting.