Books- Labyrinth

leray

Having travelled down to Spain many years ago and passing Carcassonne on the motorway the sight of which took my breath away, we did stop on our return and explore the city. I thought I would share the above book with you all and recommend it, written by Kate Mosse, its a parallel story from 1209/2005 with Alais/Alice revolving around the Cathars and Pope Innocents crusade on the Langue d'Oc. It isnt as obviously 'graily' as the da Vinci Code but the historical background is very interesting and informative, its also abit of page turner and having visited the area the book really comes alive. Its a quick read despite in being a thom and can recommend it.

elaine

currently back in uk

Got a rave review on Richard and Judy last night, several reviewers (including Carol Thatcher) have booked holidays in the area on the strength of it.

If I had a B&B or Gite in the area I think I would put Labyrinth in the text so that search engines pick it up !

Interestingly for me, the review mentioned 'warrior women' of the period. I have just read Philippa Gregorys 'The Constant Princess' about Catherine of Aaragon, and this also touches on this topic.Fiesty lot underneath those corsets [;)]

I didnt know about Richard and Judy last night, thats interesting, another good read I think would be Isabella Queen of France by Alison Weir I think, im waiting for the paperback which probably wont be till next year.

Tomorrow Im off to Borders to order Anthony Burgess; The Eve of St Venus, issued tomorrow in paperback but was unable to pre order it, I loved his Earthly Powers.

We have just bought the audio book of Labyrinth and we are lucky enough to live about 4 miles from Carcassonne so it really comes alive! Really good the way the book goes from the past to the future. I am just finishing the book The Perfect Heresy by Stephen O'Shea and that really tells just how brutal the treatment of the Cathars was. I'm just glad that Simon de Montford was not my next door neighbour!

We have a lot of audio books and listen to them while we have our dinner usually. If it's a CD book then it normally comes from www.play.com based in the Channel Isles. Similar prices to Amazon but they don't charge P&P even to France, on books.

I will probably get the paper version too, there is nothing like your own imagination, and sit under our plane trees this summer and read [B]with a nice cool beer. I think I'll give it a miss though at the moment, too bruddy cold...

John.

• 4 weeks later...
I bought Labyrinth on the ferry going over from Portsmouth weekend before last on the strength of these recommendations (I don't get time for Richard & Judy!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Elsewhere I have read frequent cross-references between this and Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code, but I'd say Mosse has woven a far less predictable and more enjoyable story. Sadly, I can't see it going to celluloid, but it would make a cracking film none the less.