Voluntary work...

hastobe

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but...is there

much call for people to do voluntary work in France?  I just

thought it may be a useful way that we could improve our language

skills more quickly and make new friends.  Has anyone done this?

Hastobe

Hello,

I have recently started working in the local library as benevolé staff - they are most grateful for my help  -although i don't feel very helpful at the moment  -still struggling with the language but hoping my efforts in the community will help - i am very good at tidying books and putting them in alphabetical order now.

It's a very nice job but it would be even more enjoyable if it paid a little bit.

Good luck

Kate

We do.  I read (in English) to the kids from the Maternelle a couple of times a month.  Mr. Possum teaches a weekly comic book workshop for the older kids and does a slide show on something or other once a month or so. 

This has actually led to me being made the substitute librarian when the regular librarian goes on holiday.  And, we've made loads of new friends this way as well.

PG

I too work as a volunteer in the local libreary, I'm vice-president of the local tourist office and I give a few extra English lessons to some of the local children.  It is a good way to meet people and will help the French language along.  Ask at the local Mairie or school for ideas.  In most rural areas the Comité des Fëtes can always use a few volunteers.  My husband helps with the tent putting up etc as many of the actual committee are quite old so need a bit of extra muscle.  Local animal charities may also need help if that is your thing, and the vet will have details.

Good luck

Maggi

I do in my spare time for the LPO and Vienne Nature doing all sorts of things as a local representative, promoting their associations, species recording of all types and the STOC which is the bird population survey for the Natural History Museum in Paris.

Lots of benévole activities available in France, Chris

Thanks for all the replies.   I know our village

have a 'save the chateau' project which could be a good thing to get

involved with - but I'm not sure if its a local thing  (i.e. run

by those who have been lived in the village a long time) - and so

whether they would want 'outsiders' getting involved.  I guess I

want to make friends but don't want to be pushy or intrude on others.

Do libraries in France have lists of organisations that are looking for

volunteers?  Unfortunately, (or fortunately [;-)]) our kids are

all older now so I don't have a natural opening to ask at the local

school.  

Slightly connected - do local businesses have volunteers helping out -

or are there restrictions (e.g. health and safety regulations) that

would prevent that?   In the UK I'm well qualified - which, I

know, wouldn't get me a job in France - but my skills may be useful to

someone...especially  if they were free of charge!

Hastobe

Slightly connected - do local businesses have volunteers helping out - or are there restrictions (e.g. health and safety regulations) that would prevent that?

That's a big NO NO. If you actually "work" for free you still have to have your qualifications accepted in France and Social Charges would have to be paid exactly the same as if you were being paid to work. How this works in practise I'm not too sure, whether it's based on minimum wage or what??

Chris

"In most rural areas the Comité des Fëtes can always use a few volunteers." 

Cerise,

I helped our village committee last year before the annual, village meal. They were slightly bemused that une anglaise (and a mere 2nd home owner at that) wanted to help but they were pleased and I had a great time, first of all counting how many prawns were in a large box then dividing them out, three to a plate along with some salad and other bits for the starter. (quite a skilled job really! [;-)]) These plates were then stored in the cold room in the Salle des Fetes ready for the evening.

Hastobe

The Mairie will probably be better place to ask for local volunteer associations, ADMR if there is one where you live may also be able to help and the library will tell you whether anything cultural needs a helping hand.  Don't worry about not having children at the school if you want to ask there.  The infants or primary or the after school club if there is one may be glad of someone to do a little 'English' group - it won't be paid though.

Maggi

For the past 2 yrs I have worked as a volunteer on the renovation of old tractors and agricultural equipment for a local 'Tractor Museum'. It is a really good thing to do voluntary work, I have made many french friends there and it has helped with learning the language no end. It also leads on to other social things and I am surprised how many people recognise me when I'm out and about !

Hi hastobe,

I think you have a couple of children if my memory serves me well.  You could join the P.T.A.  Here in France you can ask to be at the bottom of the list so you wouldn't have to be present at meetings in the begining while you get a bit more confident in french.  This still enables to meet other parents and have conversational french, plus you can help out at school events and you get to put your ideas forward. 

I suggested parent races for sports day which they had never thought of here - they thought it was great!

Don't forget this, you all seem to want to fit in here in France and adopt their way of living - that's great; but you also have a lot to give and share with the French too.

Sorry, I've been living real life this week-end! 

Yes I am a singer - but it's not volountry!  I have earned my living here in France for the last16 years or so with several bands.  I sing with a cover band for the village summer fetes pop, rock, variety...  I also sing with a band during the colder months usually in pubs, cafes and piano bars - 80's & 90's pop, rock. 

I also have a R&B soul band, I do weddings and parties and wine tasting evenings with that one, very nice.  I am still a widow on the forum but am happily married in real life![:)]

Hope that answers your question Ab.