Embarrassing!

Monika

I wonder what we do wrong, or is this just the French Way of "Laisser Fair": Every time we are at our "building project" we get invited by our young French/Brazilien neighbours for a coffee, we arrange an approx. time and when we appear they are no way ready (once they were still in their dressing gown), they scurry around, and we feel out of place and it is always highly embarrassing. We have invited them to come for a weekend to England, and given them the date (our only weekend this summer) and telephone number. They were very enthusiastic but we have heard nothing (the date is today). Is this the French way, or are we not observing the correct etiquette?

• 3 weeks later...
No, they did not, I had visions of them stranded at the Ferry Terminal, in the hope to be collected because I thought, may be they sent me an e-mail which never arrived. But last week we were out there and they explained that because she is pregnant they decided not to come. But why not let us know? I think you are right, next time we need to make a more firm arrangement.