French Wedding Custom

msjinx

Hi,

I am planning a wedding in France this summer in a small village in the Beauce region and am a little confused on one thing so I wondered if anyone can shed some light:

Are boutonnieres (buttonhole corsages) a tradition of a French marriage as much as they are in the UK. I've been told by one source in France that this custom is not really recognised in France as it is the UK and someone else told me they are more of a funeral dress thing?

Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to make the day a real French wedding please can you let me know. I've got some ideas - the laurel leaves, cutting ribbon once we're married etc but would welcome more ideas.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There,

I am currently in the final stages of planning my wedding which will take place on the 2nd of June (3 weeks on Saturday!).  I'm not sure about boutonnieres being tradition, as long as you don't use crysanthemums (funeral flowers) they would be a lovely touch. The way I feel about our wedding is that it is a mix of English and French traditions, therefore if you would have had them in the UK then why not in France. 

Have you thought about a Croquembouch for your wedding cake?  It is traditional for all your friends and family to perform sketches during the wedding breakfast to illustrate various things to do with the bride and groom.  The bride and groom also toast out of a 2-handled cup to celebrate their unity, getting married under a canopy as well to protect your marriage.  Sugared almonds for favours.  There are plenty if you search the web.  We have decided to have a big mixture - a croquembouch and a traditional wedding cake.

All I need now is to find a vicar!

amelia