Asterix 50th bday

Mr Coeur de Lion

Asterix is 50

Well, I'd forgotten all about this. On of my all time favourite cartoon characters, even before I knew what France was!

I own every album and am slowly collecting them in French too, sometimes even understanding the different French jokes too which is good for me!

I think the series should finish though. It wouldn't be the same if anyone else took over once Uderzo dies. In fact the series should have ended at the end of Asterix and Son when the Gauls and Caesar shared a banquet together. That was the perfect ending. The latest book was simply awful though.

I also agree with Anne-Claire Norot from that article that the genius of Asterix died when Goscinny died. There were one or two books after his death that were ok, but on the whole, they never compared. But then Goscinny was the writer, had the deaths come the other way round Asterix may well have died 30 years ago. Or perhaps not with another artist.

But Asterix certainly taught me a lot in my youth, especially history of course. Even now, I still read the books on occassion. Wonderful stuff.