Fromage blanc

SaligoBay

I think it is the same as what we call fromage frais in England. Friends of mine in Normandy used to eat it with jam, compote or some sort of condensed milk from a tube. Also with just a little sugar sprinkled on. Because we had bought some creme de marrons for crepes, we tried that with it too - delicious! It's good with fresh fruit salad too. Couldn't tell you what it is though!

Jill (99)

I have just read "The Elusive Truffle" by Mirabel Osler and she describes fromage blanc as follows:-

"..fromage blanc which, when fresh, is unlike the passable but much more sterile factory-produced stuff now available in Britain. It appeared frequently on menus in the Lyonnais. Yet watching French diners ordering their cheese, we noticed how seldom anyone chose fromage blanc in lieu of the crusted Fourme Lyonnaise, the discs of Monts d'Or or the close-textured Pav Dauphinois. But we did. A pile of fromage blanc smothered in thick cream (called frache, but tasting slightly off), the two sorts of white and the cruch of the sugar was irresistible."

After reading this, I has persuaded me to try it. It sounds delicious.

Hope this has helped.