Duck Confit Tart

LesLauriers

Especially for Alfa & Jill who asked me to post the recipe in an earlier thread ("Confit de canard"):

Serves 6

For the pastry:
250g self raising flour
125g butter cut into small pieces
cold water

For the filling:
1 x 400g tin duck (or goose) confit
500g small whole potatoes
4 eggs
75ml milk
2tbsp double cream
butter for greasing
4 shallots, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed, peeled and chopped
a bunch of flat leaved parsley, chopped
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

To make the pastry, (as you would normally do) put the flour in a bowl, add the butter, and rub together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Using a round bladed knife in a cutting motion, combine a couple of tablespoons of old water with the mix until a pastry ball forms. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead until the pastry is even and smooth, then wrap and place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.

To make the filling, open the tin of confit and remove the meat. Discard the skin and roughly chop the meat. Slice the potatoes. In a bowl, beat the eggs with the milk and the cream.

Heat the oven to 220/gas 7.

Lightly butter a 20-25cm pie dish. Roll out the pastry and use it to line the dish.

Add the meat, shallots, garlic, parsley, and seasoning to the pie base then layer the poatoes over the top. Finally, pour over the egg mixture.

Cook in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes. Reduce the temperature after 30 minutes if the top is browning too much.

Serve warm with a green salad. ''

As I said in the previous thread, I haven't yet tried this recipe myself, but it sounds, and looks from it's picture in the book, deeelicious!

The book by the way is 'The French Kitchen - A Cookbook' by Joanne Harris (author of 'Chocolat' et al) & Fran Wilde. A fab book with loads of very tempting recipes.

I hope I haven't flouted any copyright laws by posting the recipe here!

Susie

LAST EDITED ON 01-Mar-04 AT 01:03 AM (GMT)

Thanks Susie

It does sound delicious. Hope I can squeeze in a couple of extra tins when we go over to France in April! I don't think we have any at the moment!

Just one thing though - did the recipe say anything about parboiling the potatoes? I think I will do, because it doesn't sound long to get them cooked. What do you think? If anyone makes this recipe before I do, please could you let me know. Merci d'avance!

Jill (99)