When to drink it!

IAN_S

[quote]Someone gave me a bottle of 1995 Bordeaux Superieure and I'm not sure how long to keep it. Any ideas?[/quote]

Ian,

Strange as it might seem, a Vin Superieure does not neccessarily mean a good quality wine, although of course it can also mean a classic wine. Bordeaux wines vary greatly in quality and taste and unless your bottle has a "name", say Chateau something or another and if so, where bottled, it will not be easy to judge whether or not your 1995 will be vinaigre or a quaffable wine.

There are many grades in Bordeaux (and names !!); AOC's, Grand Vins, Grand vin superieure, Vin superieure what are called  Second wines, Premier et Grand crus classé and down to fifth growth and other classifications. Some are names, some are classifications.

My thoughts are that a 1995 run of the mill superieure, will not be up to much but it might just be a classic, where many will be OK from 7-15 years or more. The label will be a good pointer (obviously)

Get a corkscrew tonight and let us all know what it was like. 

I should have said that this is a Chateau Lescalle Bordeax Superieur, Appellation Bordeax Superieur Controllee.

The man who gave it to me is a French diplomat who I think knows a bit about wine but I live in 11 Aude and don't know a lot about Bordeux wines.

Anyway I will try it in the near future and let you all know!

The "general" rule for good (i.e. classed growth quality) claret is that it takes 10 years to come round, but modern winemaking has even reached Bordeaux and that time is now reduced.

From what I can find Chateau Lescalle is no more than a Bordeaux Superior. I would drink it as soon as possible and not have any high hopes for it, although at least 1995 was a good vintage.

Graham

Other half fully concurs with all those who say drink it soon.  Whilst on the subject of Bordeaux superieur though I would like to comment that we always find it extremely reliable at 2-5 years and buy it by the case (or several) as our house red.  You'd be surprised how many supposed "wine buffs" can be seduced by it if served at dinner in a good looking decanter but then, why not, as it is invariably exceptionally good?  In all the years we've been drinking it - various chateaux - I don't think we've ever had a disappointing bottle.  And it's competitively priced too.  It even travels well.  M