Cooker conversion

Daisy-May

Hi, can anyone help me please???

I have just taken delivery of my smeg cooker that I had in UK, I would like to use it over here.  It was mains gas at home and now I am wondering does anyone know how to convert it so we can run it with the bottled gas over here??

Cheers amelia

To convert a gas cooker from town gas to lpg (butane or propane) you would need to change the jets. OK that's the easy part of the explanation. The jets you require must be exactly the right ones(correct size for different size gas rings etc.) and the best way of obtaining these is to contact the manufacturer and ask if they can supply them. You will also need some instructions to know which jet goes in which position as they are most likely to all be different ! Some manufactureres can be helpful where this is concerned and some are useless.

You could make a start by seeing if you can find a French installation instruction manual for your cooker on the internet. If you can then you may find some reference to changing over the jets to run on lpg.

If your French is up to it, you would probably be better off finding a SMEG service agent in France and asking them if they can order the parts for you. You are less likely to find the parts you want in the UK as so few people use LPG over there.

You may well find you also need a special tool to change the jets which are often recessed. Try and buy one of these at the same time.

The easiest part of all is connecting the gas bottle via a regulator, to the cooker. Parts for this can be found in most brico stores. Don't forget that Butane bottles can be kept inside the house and Propane bottles should be outside.

Good luck.

Amelia

I have an english SMEG cooker here and it was no problem at all.  Just phoned smeg for the different jets,  had them delivered to UK address as my friend was coming over here on holiday.  Changed them over without instructions, seemed each one could only really fit in one place and didn't need a special tool for our smeg to change them.  You shouldn't have too many difficulties changing it over and the jets are really cheap too.